How Augmental Can Help
- Creating ideas for augmented reality applications.
- Writing scenarios for how people will use these applications.
- Developing plotlines, character outlines, narratives, and complete screenplays for augmented reality games and experiences.
Experience with Augmented Reality
The company’s work with AR began when Kevin Preis, Augmental’s owner, was a student at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. He was selected to participate in the Handheld Augmented Reality Project (HARP), a Department of Education-funded project for mobile learning.
The technology was so young that it came before mobile phones had built-in GPS, an almost global feature of today’s smart phones. In 2007, it was about learning what augmented reality could do once the technology was ready. Augmental takes the same approach today: come up with fantastic ideas in which AR can be applied.
Augmented reality is a concept that’s easier explained through example, so below are some uses. For more examples, explore the Augmental blog.
- You’re trying to find your way through a shopping mall to the food court. You take out your mobile and activate an augmented reality map. The screen shows the mall in front of you as normal, but now, a golden line runs along the floor from where you stand all the way to your destination.
- You are standing in line at a haunted house. To pass the time, you pop open an augmented reality application. On-screen, a short movie plays, introducing you to the ghouls you will encounter inside. All of a sudden, you’re looking at the haunted house in front of you, only now, spirits are crawling up and down its walls. If you take them out with your ghost ray, you receive a virtual ticket to an extra part of the attraction.
- At a convention, you take out your mobile and use an augmented reality application designed by the event’s organizers. Your screen shows the convention floor in front of you along with an alphabetical listing of exhibitors. When you tap a company’s name, its booth is highlighted on-screen so that you can easily find it.
Augmental researches these types of new applications for augmented reality. Just as importantly, it follows advances in hardware for experiencing AR. In each of the examples above, mobile devices were used as the interface with the augmented reality. There are great situations in which desktop computers and tablets might take advantage of it. As hardware progresses, augmented reality goggles, contacts, and holography may replace these devices.